Friday, October 23, 2015

Sunkissed Yoga :: Mats + Cats

About 6 months ago I made a commitment to try and practice yoga every day. And in the past 6 months, there's only been a few days that I've missed. There's definitely been days where I've only done a short 15 minute practice, but I still got on my mat! I'm pretty proud of myself for staying so consistent- but I have to say it's the yoga that's drawing me back, not necessarily my strong will or determination. 

yoga, yoga mat, original eco yoga mat, barefoot yoga, barefoot yoga co, eco friendly yoga mat, eco yoga mat, green yoga mat, natural colored yoga mat, omgirl yoga pants, omgirl hatha yoga pants, practice yoga daily, sunkissed dream, sunkissed yoga

Now I'm at the point where if I DON'T get my vinyasa or chaturanga or tree pose or forward fold in, my day just doesn't feel quite right.
I have definitely noticed that my mindset is more energized and focused when I start my day with yoga - and I look forward to doing it as soon as I wake up and even when I'm going to bed the night before.
Sometimes I treat myself to a full practice before bed time, intermixing sipping my bedtime tea (more on that in another post!) and doing my stretching and breathing.
Back problems run in my family, and has already crept in on me. One of my goals in building my practice is to restore and strengthen my back so I don't see more problems and pain as I get older (30 is right around the corner for me...ah!).
The biggest thing I've learned (or been reminded of) in these past months that I've really been diving into this beautiful and ancient discipline is to bring what I learn on my mat into my daily life. To stay calm and strong, to keep my head above my heart and to remember to show myself and others love and forgiveness always. 

"A special combination of substances designed to bring about
a specific effect upon the body or mind is [thus] called a yoga."

- The Yoga of Herbs, David Frawley & Vasant Lad

This is an Ayurvedic definition of yoga from an herbal medicine book I'm reading, but I like how it relates to the practice of physical yoga. 
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Since my practice is getting more "serious" I decided to purchase a new yoga mat, my old one wasn't as grippy as I'd like, and I was looking for something a little more eco-friendly.
I found this AMAZING mat by Barefoot Yoga that I am in love with and would recommend to anyone! It is on the thinner side, so if you have bad knees or other sensitive areas, it may not be right for you (or you can just put another thicker mat under it when you're practicing, like I do.) It's called The Original Eco Yoga Mat and it is exlusively sold by Barefoot Yoga Co. The jute and natural fibers are so grippy and feel so "earthy" to practice on. The underside is rubber, so it also grips the floor very well. It is biodegradable and made sustainably- so nothing to feel guilty about at all!
yoga, yoga mat, original eco yoga mat, barefoot yoga, barefoot yoga co, eco friendly yoga mat, eco yoga mat, green yoga mat, natural colored yoga mat, practice yoga daily, sunkissed dream, sunkissed yoga

yoga, yoga mat, original eco yoga mat, barefoot yoga, barefoot yoga co, eco friendly yoga mat, eco yoga mat, green yoga mat, natural colored yoga mat, practice yoga daily, sunkissed dream, sunkissed yoga

I love this natural color, it reminds me of sand, but they also have some brighter options. 
And my kitty, Tiki, who also enjoys practicing yoga (she just likes to the lay on the mat and get in my way) gives her approval as well.
PS: these super fun pants are from Omgirl and I got them here. Organic cotton, not too thin, and super comfy!

yoga, yoga mat, original eco yoga mat, barefoot yoga, barefoot yoga co, eco friendly yoga mat, eco yoga mat, green yoga mat, natural colored yoga mat, omgirl yoga pants, omgirl hatha yoga pants, practice yoga daily, sunkissed dream, sunkissed yoga, cats and yoga


I'd recommend this yoga channel to get started, if you don't already have a favorite or are looking for something new. I hope you can find the same amazing benefits and energy that I have from making this a part of my daily ritual.

Until next time, keep dreaming. xoxo






No comments:

Post a Comment